Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Cumberland Falls State Resort

I had this bright idea to visit Cumberland Falls and do some hiking after tasting bourbon at 8 distilleries. We looked at the map for the trail head and it seemed like an easy hike to Eagle Falls. OMG - what we missed on the other side was the description “strenuous”. Not one place on my entire body was dry at near 90 degrees and 50% humidity. We sweated out every ounce of toxin in our bodies. I have taken on some pretty massive hikes like O Cebreiro, in Spain in the snow...but this one about killed me. Check out the steps and terrain! It was up or down or huge rocks. I may not be able to move tomorrow. I am sure it had nothing to do with age and/or bourbon. 







To see this... not sure it was worth it!


Thank goodness for my hiking boots!  


The Cumberland River feeds Cumberland Falls - the Niagra of the South. Record rain and flooding has the water brown. Geologists estimate the rock that forms the waterfall is 250 million years old. The falls are larger when the river is not high. 








We are staying in the historic DuPont Lodge that was built in 1940. 




No comments:

Post a Comment