Tuesday, September 6, 2022

Natchitoches, Louisiana- Day 1

The quaint town of Natchitoches (pronounced - Nack-a-tish) sits along the banks of Cane River Lake. 


The original settlement of Natchitoches is the oldest permanent settlement in the Louisiana purchase, established in 1714 - four years older than New Orleans. I, sadly, have to admit my history of the huge land purchase from the French was definitely lacking. I learned today how large the land mass purchased for $15 million actually was!  Dark tan - middle of the map 



Kaffie-Frederick General Mercantile - is a super fun stop. It is the oldest General Store in the state.  The 1910 cash register is still used for sales. Which speaking of sales—- I couldn’t leave without a Santa to add to my collection made from local cypress knee - the growth just above the roots of a cypress tree. 







We visited Tres Bien Antique shop and enjoyed chatting with the owners and browsing. I bought a complete place setting of my grandmothers dishes for $29. 





The Minor Basilica of the Immaculate Conception (1857) named a basilica by papal decree. Mark helped a caretaker move a huge 100 pound candle stick and he gave us a book on the history of the basilica as a thank you. I lit a candle for my mom and spent moment thinking about her in this pretty church. Memories and grief hit you at odd moments. My mom loved to visit churches on her European travels. 







We couldn’t resist trying our very first meat pie ever from the famous Lasyone’s Meat Pie Restaurant established in 1967. Gotta say it was really tasty! 



Cute little parks in the town.



I believe both of our daughters, Lauren and Morgan, know every word to the 1989 movie “Steel Magnolias” which is based on a true story of one of Natchitoches residents and the friendships of six women. We had to go visit some of the filming locations.  


The Steel Magnolia House



St. Augustine Church where Shelby and Jackson got married. 



I



The oneliners in Steel Magnolias are classics!  Ouiser -  "Don't try to get on

my good side..I no longer have one."

I loved her character - maybe because she had more money than god and she could say anything she wanted. Oh, how fun that would be! Not that I have ever been accused of holding my tongue. 


Ouiser’s House 



Visited two plantations…

Oakland Sugar Cane Plantation circa 1818



The fern covered ancient trees are spectacular. 



The guest quarters had dressing help for bachelors visiting on the armoire/ wardrobe. The single male could turn a wheel to the color of their tie and  it would tell them what matches and what to wear. Great idea! Smile


The children’s room had a trap door and hidden staircase enabling the servants to check on the kids at anytime and not be seen in the house. 


Cane syrup pot



Cooks quarters



Melrose Plantation  - The history of this place was so interesting and way much and too long to type, but let’s just say the story starts when a slave and the founder of Natchitoches had a 19 year long affair and 10 children…. 



Historians are not sure how this house survived the Civil war when this area was the home to significant battles between the north and the south. 

No comments:

Post a Comment