Tuesday, March 26, 2019

Last Day 8- Glasgow

From hiking through northern Spain to this trip- I can tell that as I get older, I like small towns and slow and low stress traveling. 

Glasgow is a mini New York City.  Full of horn honking, fast walking commuters and tons of buses on small streets . I love NYC when I am in that mindset, but we have been in quaint areas and I wasn’t mentally prepared for the city. Plus, we were possibly in the worse hotel room ever last night. It was so bad that we checked out and paid for a new hotel for tonight. In a nut shell- no hot water, no elevator and we were on the forth floor with our luggage and no way to turn off the hot radiator.  I am not a fussy traveler -at all- so it was pretty miserable. Believe me when I say our booking company is going to get an ear full when we return. 

Tonight’s hotel! 



Ahhhh....

Last nights hotel - this is me ready for bed with NO make up! Yep - I have no vanity while showing you that I am touching the ceiling. 

 
On to exploring the city. Glasgow is a city of murals on buildings. We tracked down several. 









The central train station is massive. 


The Glasgow Cathedral  built in 1180 was simply amazing. The Vatican does have a Michael Angelo carved statue but the detail in this cathedral was really more impressive than our tour of the Vatican several years ago. Mark doesn’t agree. 









Behind the cathedral is the Necropolis. A Victorian cemetery with 50,000 people buried and 3,500 monuments. Really cool. 


This guy must have been well liked. The monument reads “erected by a few of his friends”. 

Clottie trees are popular in Scotland. You will find them randomly in a forest. You tie fabric to a tree. When the fabric weathers and fall off the tree - the legend says “your ailments will be cured”. Ok, I’m all in for this!  The arrow points to mine! 


We visited the Glasgow Museum of Modern Art. This place can’t compete with the Tate Modern in London or our little gem, Crystal Bridges in northwest Arkansas. The had one Warhol and mostly empty space. 



The city chamber office is a beautiful building with homeless living in a small camp on the grounds. 


Glasgow has a very modern edge mixed with the old historical buildings. 




Tomorrow- we head home!  Lovely vacation but ready to be home. Thanks for following our adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment