Wednesday, July 6, 2022

Many Glacier, Glacier National Park Montana

Many Glacier, Glacier National Park




There are 25 ice glaciers left in Glacier NP. We got to see two from a distance today. You can hike most of the time to Grinnell Glacier but this year the avalanche potential is too great - so the trail is closed. My legs secretly thank the massive amount of snow still lining the trail!  


Salamander glacier- circled is 400 feet deep!  Crazy. 



All of the lakes are the most gorgeous turquoise color- wanna know why?  Glacier flour (also known as rock flour or glacial silt)  is the sediment from ground up rock and gravel particles produced during glacial erosion.  The majority of the rocks are turquoise color. This Glacier flour settles at the bottom of the lake and the light reflects to make the color. 



Green rocks- 



Grinnell lake - it was a hike but so worth it!  This is fed by Lake Josephine and the snow melt from Grinnell Glacier. 




We had some snow to hike through- and Mark doing what he loves!





Swiftcurrent lake



Lake Jospehine



Hidden Falls



We had to go over a really wobbly suspension bridge. I won’t post the video of me crossing! 



Apikuni Falls - Almost a mile straight up!  Tylenol PM tonight will definitely be needed tonight. Grizzly area- I had my head on a swivel with my bear spray in my hand. 




Our first glimpse of a grizzly was right next to the Many Glacier Hotel - I was more concerned about pointing him out to Mark than taking a picture. 


Then hiking in a very quiet little clearing - I spotted a moose and my yelling “A moose” cause her to jog!  LOL! I got a butt picture! It was cool to watch her. Glacier staff said she is a yearling. She just broke free of her momma. Part of the trail was closed because a hungry grizzly is after a new moose calf. 



We were a couple of hours away from the RV so Ruby went with us. 



Glacier distillery was a fun little stop. All made on site. Found several we liked and of course purchased!  







No comments:

Post a Comment